Updated: Dec 15, 2019
In coaching circles, The Energy Bus, by Jon Gordon is a book that gets recommended every time you turn around. And I'd like to thank the countless people who have recommended it. I've heard about it via social media, podcasts, and word of mouth, and I finally got around to reading it. I sure am glad I did.
Upon completion, the story of the transformation of George from a poor me pessimist to a Chief Energy Officer leaves me feeling as energized as ever and adds reinforcement to my purpose in the work that I am already doing.
Within the pages of the fable are the following:
10 Rules for the Ride of Your Life
1. You are the driver of your bus
2. Desire, vision, and focus move your bus in the right direction
3. Fuel your ride with positive energy
4. Invite people on your bus and share your vision for the road ahead
5. Don't waste your energy on those who don't get on your bus
6. Post a sign that says NO ENERGY VAMPIRES ALLOWED on your bus
7. Enthusiasm attracts more passengers and energizes them during the ride
8. Love your passengers
9. Drive with purpose
10. Have fun and enjoy the ride
If you feel like you or your team, at work or at play or at home, need to be rejuvenated, pick up a copy of The Energy Bus. Gordon does a fabulous job packaging his message in the form of a fable packed with relatable characters. By the end, you'll find yourself proud of George's metamorphosis and rooting for his success.
My favorite quote:
"The best legacy you could leave is...a world that has been impacted and touched by your presence, your joy, and your positive actions."
Jon Gordon leaves his own legacy with this work of art. While I feel like the above quote is missing a reference to love, I'll give it a pass because of rule number 8.
It looks like I have some catching up to do on my book review page. I'll make it happen soon.